With about 1.9 million active sellers Amazon is the biggest marketplace for sellers worldwide. If you own a D2C brand, the chances are you are either already selling on Amazon or are planning to launch soon. In either case, just being present on the platform is not enough; you need to compete with other sellers every day to rank higher; preferably on page one of the search listing (because 70% of amazon visitors never scroll past the first page of search results). From writing a complete and concise Amazon product listing to optimizing your content for SEO and managing your product review and inventory – the whole process of selling on third-party marketplaces can be sometimes overwhelming. So in our attempt to help you grow your business, we are doing a series of blogs on Amazon, where we will be unlocking the best practices and tips to improve amazon sales. Amazon’s buy box is another catalyst which would boost up your sales. Read how to win Amazon Buy Box spot in our detailed blog here.
In our first blog, we will help you create a flawless Amazon product listing page – doing that right will help you rank higher, gain visibility, increase sales, and profits.
Let’s get started on how to optimize your product listing page on Amazon.
Write Enticing Amazon Product Title
The two main factors you should consider while writing the product title are – the length and how it is structured. You can also use this opportunity to split them into different product categories to make it easier for the shoppers.
For product titles, Amazon limits the maximum length to 200 characters. Beyond that, the titles will be truncated, preventing the site visitors from seeing the complete offering. Hence, keep your title short, simple, and to the point.
Amazon also suggests the best way to structure the title in this sequence, Brand Name (product name) – Keyword / Product Line – Key Features – Other Descriptive Elements (color, size, quantity). You can check the title structure recommendation for various categories by Amazon here.
Things to follow when writing product title while listing product on Amazon,
- Capitalize the first letter in each word except certain words like, “and,” “for,” “the,” “in,” and “an”
- Use numbers, not words (e.g., 5 instead of five)
- If selling a bundled item, state how many items are in the bundle
- Spell the measuring words like inch/centimeter rather than using abbreviations
- If the product comes in various sizes and colors, include the size and color for each listing
Avoid these as you write your product title,
- Sales or promotion phrases like Top-class, free shipping, best in class, offer, etc
- Use of special character like, !, %, $, ? and & (use ‘and’ instead)
- Any information about amazon seller like phone number, address, etc
How to do it Right?
Best Practices For Product Title
Maximum Character Count – 200
Recommended Character Count – 80 to 150
Recommended Structure – Brand Name – Keyword / Product Line – Key Features – Other Descriptive Elements (color, size, quantity)
Pro-Tip – Make it concise and keep user intent at the core
Use Good Quality Images and Videos
Consider your Amazon product listing page as your storefront for your amazon sales. As your customer can not touch and feel the product, it is important to have high-quality images that help them see every aspect of your product.
There are mainly two types of images that you can use for Amazon product listing:
- Studio image: The main image of the product on white background
- Lifestyle image: Product photo in a real-life setting. It helps consumers to visualize
Here are the factors you should keep in mind when adding images to your Amazon store,
- The main image should be of the product only on a plain white background
- The product should cover at least 80% of the image
- Ensure that the image has at least 1000 pixels. It maintains good resolution when zooming in
- Use PNG, JPEG, TIFF and GIF file types
- Don’t add promotional text like sales, offer, etc. in the image
- Watermark, decoration, accessories are prohibited, especially in the main image
- If the product is in a package, include the unboxing video or image showing everything that comes in the box
How to do it Right?
Best Practices For Product Image
Image Suggestions: JPEG format with an aspect ratio of 1:1, 1000 pixels
Number: Amazon allows 9 images, but ideal to keep it 6
Suggestion: 2-3 studio images followed by lifestyle images
Protip: Use product identifier (Amazon ASIN) in the filename
Already enrolled in Amazon brand registry? Use product videos and keep them under 2 minute
Use Two-Tired Bullet Approach For Product Feature Section
Even though you can tell about your product in detail in the product description and A+ content page, it is better to describe important features and benefits as bullet points in the product feature section.
Here are tips for writing the best key product feature listing on amazon listing page,
- Use a two-tired bullet approach: Begin your bullet with key offerings/ major benefits of the product. Write the first few words with “ALL CAPS” followed by normal case.
- Keep the limit for each bullet point to 500 characters.
- Include the keyword (you are targeting) in the bullet point.
- Focus on benefits rather than just product features.
- Structure: Quick Call Out – followed by detailed explanation within 500 characters and relevant keywords.
How to do it Right?
Best Practices For Product Feature Section
Maximum Character – 500 characters
Structure Suggestion – QUICK CALL OUT – detailed explanation with targeted keywordsProTip – List the most important features in the top three points
Don’t Forget The Product Description
This section is your opportunity to get deep into explaining your product, its benefits, USPs and other product information as all this information will appear on the product detail page. You can also talk about your brand story, values, and mission to create brand awareness here.
The best way to write this section is by understanding who your audience are and what they want. Research your competitor’s negative product reviews, identify consumer needs, and address those in your product description.
Keep your product description short and simple. Even though Amazon allows 2000 characters for product listing, keep your description below 300 characters. Lastly, amazon product listing optimization is essential. Also optimize your product description for your target keywords.
If you are enrolled in the Amazon brand registry or are part of the managed selling program by Amazon, you might be eligible for A+ content. In such cases, the product description will be replaced by A+ content for your audience. But this should not prevent you from including nicely written product descriptions in the backend, as it still plays an important role in amazon ranking.
How to do it right?
Best Practices For Product Descriptions
Maximum Character – 2000 characters
Character Suggestion (Non-HTML) – 500 – 1000 charactersProTip – Don’t use HTML for formatting
Optimize your content for SEO
Given the competitive landscape of the Amazon marketplace, it is important to optimize your content for keywords that you want to rank for at Amazon in order to attract potential customers.
Start by adding your keywords to the product title, description, and product features. Keywords that you don’t want your visitors to see but would like your product to rank for can be added as the search term in the backend of the Amazon platform. Here is how the backend search term tab looks,
Here are some useful tips on keyword insertion in the search term tab making it easier for search engine to read:
- Insert additional keywords or phrases that you could not use in the product title and description
- If you wish to do keyword stuffing, you can do it here
- Include common misspellings and associated terms in these fields.
- Don’t use competitor names or any ASINs
- Separate each term with space. No need to use punctuation
Pro Tip: List each word only once, even if it is relevant for multiple long-tail keywords.
For example, let’s say you are selling sheet masks and want to rank for these keywords – “Sheet Mask For Women,” “Sheet Mask,” “Facial Sheet Mask,” “Women Sheet Mask,” etc. Instead of writing each of these keywords in full, you can write “Women Facial Sheet Mask,” and Amazon search will automatically use the variations.
Being thorough will pay off in the end!
Amazon has specific rules when it comes to product listing without any exemption. But if you know the rules and best practices, it all comes down to writing a great copy, using good product images, filling the information, and optimizing the content. Also make sure that your customer service related to customer reviews, feedback etc is spot on in order to maximize sale of your new product. Happy selling!
Now that you know all about Amazon product listing, it’s time to implement the learnings into action. For more such insightful tips and best practices, stay tuned for our next blog on the Amazon marketplace. Till then, keep crushing it in your business!
Easily Track All Metrics with Velocity Insights
We understand how frustrating it can be to track each and every number the company achieves, especially when you do not have a robust tool in place. So, we launched Velocity Insights – a one-stop solution to track all your metrics from various online platforms. Connect your online selling platforms with Velocity Insights in just a few minutes and get a daily business snapshot delivered to your Whatsapp every morning. Here is an article on how you can track your business performance metrics using Velocity Insight in real-time.